I’m following YA author and fellow blogger, Steph Bowe’s lead, and revealing twenty-five random, uninteresting, highly personal things about myself (though maybe not in that order).
1. I’m kind of an animal person. I have two cats and two dogs, and would have more of both if it was legal (and if money grew on trees, because feeding them… yeah, I’m sure you get the idea).
2. I write about scary, end-of-everything, apocalyptic-type things, but in real life I hardly ever think or even worry about such things. I know, weird.
3. I love indie films. I never used to, but now I do. So much.
4. To me, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is pretty much the be all and end all of understated sexiness. (And if you don’t know who he is – how dare you!!! (Kidding, but seriously, immerse yourself in this dude, cos he’s all kinds of awesome!)).
5. I’m really, really shy. My online persona is kinda outgoing, because really, I can talk to y’all without having to face you. But put me in a room with a bunch of you and I’ll probably giggle awkwardly and then face the wall. It’s not because I don’t want to talk to you or get to know you, it’s because I’m just really, really, really shy.
6. I’m deathly afraid of water, yet I just bought a kayak and can’t wait to get out amongst the waves. (I’m full of contradictions, huh?)
7. If I was born a boy my name would be Bart. I think that’s pretty cool.
8. I am the most unromantic person on the face of the earth. I don’t do anniversaries – I can’t even remember them to start off with – and refuse to celebrate Valentine’s Day, because it’s really nothing more than a greeting card-created holiday that doesn’t so much say “I Love You” as “I’m A Commercial Hack.” (See, unromantic, and possibly a little bitchy. Don’t hold it against me).
9. Part of me wants to pull a Chris McCandless and just give away everything I own and run away to the wilds of Alaska. The materialistic part of me, however, is now hugging her vintage dresses to her chest and screaming “NOOO!” like Darth Vader in Return of the Sith.
10. I have the most understanding, house-broken husband in the world!
11. I love Tasmania. I love the land and the people and the lifestyle and the climate – I love it all. And I want to live there.
12. I will never be a neo luddite. I love my technology too much.
13. I suffer from an incurable disease. I don’t talk about it much (it’s kind of a sore point with me). But that’s okay. We all have something difficult and a little embarrassing that we keep close to our chests.
14. When I was in high school I was determined to be a doctor. That was until I figured out my phobia of blood and guts and the like really was a phobia, and I wasn’t getting over it in a hurry.
15. I don’t like change. At all. It freaks me out.
16. I am beyond lazy. I’m also really messy. It’s not a good combination.
17. If I could eat whatever I wanted without putting on an ounce of weight, I would eat caramel fudge, strawberry freddos, feta cheese, salami, sour dough bread and vanilla slices every day. (If only, huh?)
18. I buy the newspaper but I never read it. Mostly I just look at the pictures and check the classifieds for death notices. Morbid, right?
19. I collect notebooks with pretty covers. I also collect pretty floral dresses made from vintage fabric, hippy headbands, Barbies, dvds, and ballerina flats in vibrant colours.
20. When I was a child, I was a girly-girl who played with dolls and wore jeans everywhere. Now I’m an adult, I’m a tomboy who likes camping, hiking, and fishing and I wear pretty, flowery dresses. Go figure.
21. I have attitude. I live by the “treat-others-the-way-you-wish-to-be-treated” rule, but there are times when my “inner bitch” comes out and I can’t help it. I blame the Irish blood running through my veins.
22. Despite the saying, I’m still unsure as to whether or not school really was the best years of my life.
23. When I was a child, I once tried to make a battery-powered night light work by plugging it into an electrical outlet (don’t ask why). Needless to say, it wasn’t very healthy after that, and I hid its smoking remains at the bottom of my clothes cupboard (thankfully, the house didn’t burn down).
24. I can’t watch the following movies without crying: Finding Nemo, Up!, Bright Star, Pride & Prejudice (Elizabeth & Darcy hooking up just gets me every time!), Wall-E, and Toy Story 3.
25. I’m having a competition on my blog soon. It’s only something small (as I’m a poor, struggling writer without a contract), but I want to reward my loyal followers all the same, so yeah. Stay tuned, folks!
Phew! I’m kind of glad I’m not any older than I am, because I was running out of interesting things to say!
If you’re into telling a bunch of faceless strangers a whole heap of kooky stuff about yourself, feel free to blog and leave a link to it in the comments so I can read, and hopefully not feel as embarrassed about all the crazy stuff I just posted for the world to see. Obviously if you do, you’d write x-amount-of-things about yourself depending on your age (so if you’re 20+, that’s a whole lotta nitty gritty writing!)